Happy summer and happy ice cream season! Frozen desserts are one of summer’s greatest pleasures. Because this Strawberry Ginger Chocolate Chunk Nicecream is vegan, fruit-sweetened, and protein-rich, it’s a great one to enjoy all summer long. Sweet strawberries, zippy ginger, and decadent OHi Bar chunks make for an unexpected and delightful combination of flavors and textures.
- 2 Almond Dark Chocolate OHi Bars
- 4 ripe, sliced, frozen bananas
- 1 c frozen strawberries, divided
- ¼- ½ c full-fat coconut milk
- 10 cubes of crystallized ginger OR 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- Dice up the two OHi Bars and set them aside. It’s okay if you end up with differently-sized pieces; they’ll make the Nicecream more fun! But in general, try to cut the bars into cubes the size of chocolate chunks in a typical ice cream.
- In a food processor, combine the frozen bananas, half of the frozen strawberries, ¼ c coconut milk, and ginger. Process until you achieve a thick, rich texture, similar to soft-serve ice cream. If needed, add additional coconut milk to help bring your Nicecream together.
- Add the remaining frozen strawberries and pulse the food processor a few times to cut them up but still leave some larger pieces.
- Add the OHi Bar chunks and stir them in by hand, making sure they get evenly incorporated throughout the Nicecream.
- Enjoy immediately as soft-serve ice cream. Or, transfer the Nicecream to a container and freeze for several hours to create harder, scoopable ice cream.
- Switch up the color and flavor by using any frozen berries you love, or a combination of a few types. Ginger and chocolate both go great with all berries!
- Keep the recipe free of added sugar by using fresh ginger instead of crystallized ginger.
- Give it a swirl! Stir in a few spoonfuls of strawberry jam by hand at the end, mixing it in just enough to leave strawberry swirls throughout.
- Add any other mix-ins you love. Shredded coconut, pistachios, some additional chocolate, or even some ice cream cone pieces would all go great with these flavors.
- Make it a sundae! This Nicecream would be delicious with chocolate sauce, fresh strawberries, and a dollop of whipped coconut cream.
About the Guest Blogger
Lee Corbett is a recipe creator, food photographer and author of The Rogue Brussel Sprout blog. She is passionate about creating nourishing plant-based recipes that are colorful, seasonal and celebrate fruits and veggies in all their glory. You can see all of her creations on Instagram (@TheRogueBrusselSprout) and on her blog (www.TheRogueBrusselSprout.com).